Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Back in town

So I am back in town for four whole days! It has been amazing to sleep in my own bed and see friends and family for longer than a couple hours.
Thus far, the road has been good to me though, I've been between Washington, Eastern/Central Oregon and Idaho the last month and a half or so. Had some very interesting experiences as well.
One of which was in Burns, OR....out in the middle of no where. First of all, I had no idea where it was, only that I needed to follow my mapquest directions to a tee. I ended up going through Bend, so sorry to family that I didn't get to say hi too! Secondly, I ended up being on a long desolate road, alone, with no radio, a battery depleted iPod, hungry, and with darkness quickly taking over the vast landscape. Many of you know I can't see at night, night blindness, so driving in the dark is always an interesting task, especially without my glasses on, but luckily I had my glasses with me so one dilemma was moderately solved. So I'm on this long beautiful road, trucking along wondering when I was going to finally make it to my destination. I would get the sporadic text, thank goodness, those kept me alert and eager to see what was going on back in the "real world,' but for the most part I was in a no service zone. When I finally reached Burns, the town was empty, it was pitch black outside and I was still hungry. As the main part of the town is only one road, I quickly found my hotel...motel, I never do remember what the difference is. I found the first available parking spot, and looking around me the majority of the spots were filled with motorcycles, lovely. So as a recap...I'm alone. I'm hungry. I need to pee. Its pitch black outside. I'm surrounded by motorcycles and the sporadic leather cladded individual. My motel is outside access. And cell/internet reception is iffy. I spent that night with a table and chair set in front of my door, because I wasn't positive who was making all the fuss outside, and I didn't much care to find out. Oh, and the thing that kept we so excited was knowing that I got to watch America's Next Top Modelt that night...can you guess what channel was the only one this motel didn't get!
However, it ended up being not such a creepy town in the morning, when I could actually see the buildings. And I got to talk to a whole class room of students, so totally worth it! But this was my first odd experience as a counselor, and a town I hope to never live in, no offense to those that do. And perhaps Tyler can be the one to really appreciate this, but it reminded me of that creepy town in Arizona, where you just felt like vampires were all over and coming to get you. Yes...vampires, I know they aren't real but never the less, I felt like they were there. Got to love towns in the middle of no where. :o)

No comments: