Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Embarrassing Moment...or day

There are those days when nothing seems to go right, adverse effects of the universe or the sleepy aftermath of long days in another state, who knows. My last day in Idaho went something like this: I woke up late from my alarm clock and didn't have time to get coffee before my first high school visit. So I drive to Meridian, ID, not a far drive from Boise and I arrive on time, all is good. It's me, two senior guys and the career counselor sitting off in another corner. The whole visit I kept hearing these weird noises, it sounded like old pipes starting to spread heat, that deep rooted gurgling noise. So...after a few moments of silence while the guys were filling out info cards I casually said something along the lines of "sounds like a yeti," following a gurgle. Yeah.....it wasn't pipes making the noise, it was students in the mentally disabled class next door! I felt so bad. I'm sure I turned beet red.
I finally got coffee after that and things got a little better. Except I almost completely biffed it at a restaurant with another admissions counselor, causing ice cold water to soak my sleeve and spill across the floor. :o) Lucky me.
After that a sudden snow storm hit, I did manage to catch my flight and check in on time though.
So question...how do you deal with this:
I sat next to an incredibly nice man who was actually an admissions counselor for another school in Oregon. We had a nice time chatting and talking about food and traveling. Here is the problem- he had the worst breathe and was a soft talker on top of that! So I had to face him to hear what he had to say, but could barely handle the death that presumably fumed from his breathe. Yuck. When gum is not accessible, I guess we just have to suck it up and enjoy the conversation. If we are to give praise to anything that got me through this day it could be to Moxie Java and Trident, what life savers.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh Case, what an awful day..atleast you're a great writer and could capture it all so you could share it with everyone else and laugh about it later : )