Saturday, July 2, 2011

I'm an 8

"How'd it turn out?"
"I'm an 8."

Name that show. Perhaps one of the best episodes of Friends, when Ross goes in for a spray tan and accidently tans his front 4 times in a row, rather than his front and back. Yeah, similar experience to me yesterday.

In truth though, the machine malfunctioned AND I messed up. Thank goodness for the machine also not working properly or I might have walked into my family reunion looking like Ebony and Ivory, just depends on if you saw me from the front or the back. Anyway, having a free spray tan left from awhile ago I decided to even out some tan lines for the big family photo this weekend. Not only did I accidently get stuck in the same pose twice, spraying my front half twice, the machine stopped at that point and proceeded to dry me. With tanner dripping down my legs, I threw on some clothes (which are definitely tan on the inside now as well) and had to walk to the front desk to see what was up. Since they made a mistake, they gave me a free future spray tan and I went home and showered off the radioactive hue my front side was turning, although not much better than the brilliant white of my backside.

In other accomplishments of the week, I finally found the hidden tree fort on campus tucked away in the miles of nature trails. If you've never walked the nature trails, I highly recommend it, you'd forget you're even in Salem. They are beautiful, lush and green, with cascading branches creating canopies above the walk ways. I've been listening to my Bible on my iPod, which I'm now in Leviticus, and walking these trails, and literally standing in awe at the work of my Creator, that and the trails are steep so I get out of breath after awhile. Anyway, upon discovering said tree fort with past coworker Courtney, I attempted to climb the ladder. The first step is about the reach of arms above my head, not really an easy task for a girl with no upper body strength. With some struggle I was able to get myself to the second step, my  feet still braced against the trunk of the trees. I got scared to go for the third step, but really had no where to go, just a hill and a large rock below me, so while attempting to get down I fell. I have a really nice bruise on my knee, but hey, it matches the large bruises on my arms from this crazy hard server at volleyball on Thursday. I am a very bruised, but very tan, woman. But I will make it to the top of that tree.

What is the significance of 8 in the Bible? It first appeared for young Hebrews needing to be circumsized at day 8 of their lives, and then again in Exodus 23 with sacrifices. I brought this question up last night at a fire pit, which put out some interesting concepts on the significance. I feel like I once learned this and just can't quite grasp that knowledge out from my brain, so I'm hoping either someone can help me out or continuing to dig deeper into the Word the answer will reveal itself to me. I understand 3. I understand 7. I don't understand 8. I'm also curious why with Noah it was 40 days and 40 night, and again on Mt.Sinai with Moses it was 40 days and 40 nights- twice. Why 40/40? So there you have it, some numerical ponderings for the week. In college, I had to read the whole Bible for a class, Biblical Literature of the OT and NT. I remember reading it, and learning it and then forgetting it. Looking back, I was passing a test and not so much tucking it into my heart and really delving into the questions it brings up. I'm changing that now.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Ha, thanks for sharing I enjoy your blog. And, I enjoyed our little trip to the tree house:)

Anonymous said...

I don't think 40/40 is literally 40 days and 40 nights. It just means a long period of time...I think.