Sunday, September 23, 2012

Pinterest Food Success Finds

This will be a quick post and mostly just about some delicious recipes I recently tried out. As many of you know I try to watch what I eat, and more than just "watch" what I eat as in eat healthy I take it a step further and try to pay attention to the specific amounts of protein, carb, sugar, vitamins, and fat I intake and in what forms. Is it good fat like avocado and nuts, or bad fat like the bacon maple cupcake recipe I'm also going to talk about today. 

The two recipes on the docket today are: baked oatmeal muffins and bacon maple cupcakes. Both made in my trusty muffin tin but extremely different, its the good and evil of the food world. 

My breakfasts have been a bit lackluster lately and I was hoping to spruce things up and cut out some protein but still get a full stomach and a jump start to my energy level. I think this pinterest find managed to give me both and has been delicious, filling and about 100 calories a muffin. I made 30 of them with this recipe. Best if you freeze the ones for future use and thaw out in the fridge over night. 

Recipe from Sugar Free Mom (tweaked just a smidgen by me):

  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups applesauce, unsweetened
  • 1 banana, mashed
  • 6 packets of Sweetleaf Stevia or 1 1/2 teaspoons stevia powder or use 1/2 cup honey (I used stevia concentrated liquid drops)
  • 5 cups, Old Fashioned rolled oats { I used Bob’s Red Mill}
  • 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 3/4 cups milk (I used 1%) (I used coconut milk)
Here are some pictures from my muffins and a preview of the Bacon Maple Cupcakes.


Dark mini chocolate chips with organic PB blob                                                  Blueberry



The Bacon Maple Cupcakes I decided to make for my office (I take them in tomorrow so I'll see what my non biased reviews are), however, I tried one and it is DELICIOUS and in no way nutritious. Voodoo Donuts would be proud though, these babies are like sweet manna meant to solve most every life problem.

The recipe I used was from BT Bacon for Life:
Bacon Maple Cupcakes
* 4 1/2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
* 1/2 tablespoon bacon drippings (left in the fridge to become solid)
* 1 egg
* 5 tablespoons brown sugar
* 4 tablespoons maple syrup
* 1 1/4 cups self rising flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* tiny tiny pinch kosher salt
* 1/4 cup milk
* 1/4 cup of minced bacon, cooked and drained
Maple Syrup Frosting
* 4 tablespoons of butter.
* 2 tablespoons of maple syrup.
* 1 cup of powdered sugar.


"What you’ll do–
* 1) Cook some bacon in a fry pan (about 6 thick strips). Reserve the drippings and place in the fridge to solidify. Mince 1/4 a cup of the bacon. The chef should eat whatever is left to assure that the bacon is tasty.
* 2) Beat the crud out of the butter and solidified bacon fat ’till light and creamy. Add the brown sugar and maple syrup and beat well until combined.
* 3) Add the egg and beat until incorporated.
* 4) Sift the flour, salt, baking soda and powder together.
* 5) Add some of the flour and mix, then some of the milk, then continue to alternate the dry and wet ingredients, ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold in the bacon. Taste and add more maple syrup, flour, or milk if needed for desired taste. Keep in mind the maple frosting is very sweet, and to add in very small increments for alterations as maple syrup in large amounts can break a cake batter.
* 6) Scoop into cupcake papers and bake at 350 F for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Be sure to rotate the pan after the first 15 minutes for even baking." (From BT Bacon for Life)

So far Pinterest has proven very SUCCESSFUL with supplying me with great new recipes! If you want the cooking instructions on the cupcakes just click on the link above (BT Bacon for Life) and it's all right now. Personally, when I made the frosting I used 7 TBS butter, 3 TBS maple syrup and 1 1/4 C powdered sugar. 

No comments: