Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sept. 15th, Salinas, CA

Today has been an interesting day. I didn't really do much this morning, except drive around and order 70 dollars worth of pizza. I was the speaker for a whole youth group tonight, middle and high school students...hence the abundance of pizza. It went really well, they were an awesome group and had so many questions, it was refreshing to see their interest and their energy. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It amazes me at my comfort level of talking to larger groups of people. Those who know me well, know that I don't particularly like to speak for large groups or be the sole form of entertainment for a group. I don't mind making jokes and being part of the hub bub of whatever is happening, in fact I love that, but I'm not a front stage kind of girl. Tonight was natural and comfortable as can be, amazing how the Lord works you know.

Another high light of my night was coming back and having a commercial on tv reference the powerful skills of the black mamba. I have this obsession with green mambas which stemmed from the book "The Poisonwood Bible," that I read a long time ago. Like 3-4 years ago anyway, amazing book, I highly recommend it to any reading fanatics.

And the second high light of my night after the youth group event was the commercial on the channel USA, with the actors stating "I am a character because..." Well, Gus from Psych states "I am a Christian."  I just think that's awesome, because he's funny. And I like funny people.

If you're picturing Salinas as this exotic beautiful city near the sea, don't. Stop that train of thought immediately because it is far from it. It is a blah city, some low grade shopping places, a really scary mall and mostly fast food. The city is surrounded by fields that are being harvested right now, mostly greens. Those areas are beautiful. I wanted to stop earlier they have the big machines pulled up and people are lining the rows picking and sorting, with wide brimmed  hats on, sleeves rolled up...it really was a beautiful moment to past. It also shows the hard work so many people put into even the simpliest thing, such as lettuce. I've had lettuce three times today, I wonder what field it came from.

Gross moment of the day. I drove through Wendy's after speaking tonight to get something for dinner and I got water, a side salad and a grilled chicken sandwich which I promptly disassembled and ate without the bun. The gross moment is when i took a drink of the water and it tasted slightly like fries. Gross right! Fry water. Now thats just wrong. So very very wrong. Starting tomorrow I do believe I'll be in a much prettier area, so hopefully some pics will come. Didn't take any today. I'm staying at an awesome hotel tomorrow, which I'll disclose after I stay there....call me paranoid, but I dislike writing where I am before I'm there, its just too weird to have on the world wide web. However after leaving it tomorrow, I'm excited for what I'll have seen. The room is suppose to be pretty sweet.
Good night!

No comments: