Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sept.22nd- Bakersfield...AKA, PGE bill due

Tonight I stay in Bakersfield for school visits tomorrow and a Christian College Fair tomorrow night. Two nights in the same place! It's almost like winning the lottery, only with not as many fiscal benefits, or the excited "woohoo!"

My first visit of the morning I figured would be a handful of students tops, yet I had about 40 of them bright eyed and ready. I think we'll have some real interest from them. Part of my day consisted of driving around, I went to some random towns between Hanford and Bakersfield, which is a good stretch of road.

I think I'm really tired because the song by Perry "If I Die Young" makes me want to cry every time it plays. I can always tell when I'm tired or stressed by the amount of emotion I actually allow to show, so I think my watery eyes probably speaks volumes. I've been in this country kick, I can't get enough on the road. It might be in due part to the corn husks and green fields I pass one after another, or I'm just gettin' in touch with my blue grass roots.

I know I said a few posts ago how I want to feed the homeless on Thanksgiving and want to get involved in it on a consistent basis at home, and that's still true as of this very moment. Today though, my heart just went out to this man that was sitting with his dog at a gas station. So when I ran inside to use the restroom I couldn't help myself from buying some gatorade and various food items and then some tartar fighting gum (I realize how silly that sounds but I really thought he might like some clean feeling teeth) to bring out to him. So I gave it to him when I left, pumped some gas and took off to my next school visit. When I was pumping the gas I looked over and he was smiling, sifting through the bag and talking to his dog. I should've felt really good after that, doing something kind usually has that effect on the do-er and the receiver, but I just left wondering where he would get food tomorrow. There are so many homeless people, and I can't help but feel compassion for them, even individuals who made choices to get themselves in that position in the first place.

Did anyone watch the season premiere of Glee last night! I was so sad to miss it, it started at 8pm, when my fair ended, plus I had an hour drive after to get to my hotel for the night. Today, however, I definitely watched it for $5 on Demand, I couldn't help myself! I tried to watch it on hulu on my netbook but it kept freezing and skipping, all in all, I needed the full of effect of fantasticness. I'll admit....I'm really excited for this season to get going, I'm addicted to that show, and its a great break from the NCIS and Bones I watch so much of at night on the road.

During another of my drives today I was thinking, as the trend has gone, how much I become enmeshed with books that I'm reading. I finished the latest one that I got, I decided I really needed some Christian writing after the last two. "The Likeness" was a great book, but much like the last, it used some choice words but in an Irish accent and a British accent, so it was just so fitting for the character, not to excuse it. This is embarrassing, but apparently I've trained my mind to skip those things that I literally read it to say "F that or this..." or "ohmygoodness" or "crap" instead of other words that would be considered cursing or blasphemous (if I were to recall a particular sentence, I would remember the clean version, that weird). The taking the Lord's name in vain is the one that really does get me, I do not like that. I know you would think the girl who adores and has a secret word love affair with the term ass would not be so conservative with the rest, but I indeed am. You just have to admit ass is like the greatest most descriptive word, as long as its not paired with another word that turns into a white trash term, so really people, use some class when using the term ass.
So my newest books, Robert Whitlow's "Deeper Water" (I don't understand why I continue buying his books because I find them so incredibly boring at times but so intriguing as well) and then I also purchased Jane Eyre. I thought ahead this time, its taking me less than a week to finish a book, better buy two at a time.

Back to my original thought. I realized I become really immersed in the story. The last one was an undercover detective living with this group of graduate and doctorate students to solve a murder, not quite as cliche as it sounds I promise. The characters were so interesting, real academics who read every night, played and created music, didn't own a tv, lived in an old inherited house in the Ireland lanes surrounded by trees and a garden. I literally could see myself enjoying a conversation with them and partaking in their home cooked meals. Immersed. I thought my imagination had died down when my age increased, apparently it was just taking a nap because its back full force.

My mom should be here within 45 minutes! My uncle Todd is driving her from Fresno to Bakersfield, hope she can find something to do tomorow while I have school visits and a fair. :o) The pool, hot tub, near by stores, and abundance of books in my suitcase might suffice. All that to say, I'm so excited for her to join me! Conversation....with people over the age of 17 and not solely about Corban!

Life lesson learned for the day- when ordering lunch thinking I'll take most of this to go with me so I have some food in the hotel incase my mom gets hungry doesn't actually mean its going to happen. Nice thought. Fat chance.  I sat at Applebees with my new Roberty Whitlow boring book that I will eventually adore and ordered the three appetizer special thing. I thought, I'll eat one of them and bring the other two home. Home equaling hotel of the night of course. Yeah...that didn't happen. I ate one, picked at another and was stucked with food items in front of me that won't travel well in a warm car for hours. So like I said, nice thought...fat chance.

1 comment:

ehoff said...

I definitely do the exact same thing when reading. I say "f- this, f- that" etc. Too funny. I have this inability to say the F word. I ONLY ever say it in front of Brent, and it's only when I'm trying to make him laugh. And same with all the others. And I agree with you when it comes to using the accents. It just works to use poor language if you hear it (in your head...) with an accent!
I miss you, my friend, and hope you are having a very blessed time meeting with potential students! See you (hopefully) around the 1st!
Emily