Thursday, September 16, 2010

Sept. 16th, San Luis Obispo...and Monterey and Pacific Grove.

I am just like the most pleased woman right now. Here I am, sitting in a canopy bed, the fire place going, a new book next to me, I just ate a delicious club sandwich (one of my all time favorite foods), and as a little revenge against calories I also picked up a couple pieces of Sees Candy as a little treat for the day- those are also next to me. The Apple Farm, my residence for the night, is absolutely adorable! And San Luis Obispo makes me feel like I'm driving around a huge zoo/Jurassic park, its beautiful. Huge hills surrounding this valley, trees, palm trees and green everywhere, its definitely one of the prettiest areas of California I've ever been in.

Today's events have changed dramatically, much like the climate and demographic. I started this morning off in fog and as a minority. The career center I spoke in this morning I was literally the only white person, every single person in this filled room was latino, which was cool but still an interesting change of dynamics. The morning and afternoon were in the 50's and 60's, cold, windy and like I said- foggy. It was like a fog machine followed me around for a few hours.
And then came the drive to San Luis Obispo, my private promised land of the week. Books, chocolate, and cute little water wheels outside my window changed this day around.

I just finished Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. It was a great book, but definitely not for the easily offended. It offered some choice words, but they were British accented curse words...somehow that seems to make it less bad. I have no explanation over this thought process. Did I mention I have a basket of chocolate kisses and Martinelli apple juices that were waiting for me in my room? Or that I'm getting served breakfast to my room in the morning- fresh pastries, boysenberry jam, fresh fruit, vanilla yogurt, fresh squeezed orange juice, and coffee. I feel a little more than spoiled right now. If I was getting a back massage for free this very moment I might never leave. Anyway, it was an interesting book and he has a unique way of writing that I grew to enjoy. Getting on a suspense kick I bought another book from Borders as soon as I got into town today called "The Likeness." I read another one of her books that was on Targets top seller one of the past travel seasons that I simi enjoyed. They were plum out of all my favorite authors, or least the books I haven't read of theirs.

Funnny story of the day. So, I've been driving this cherry red rental car for a few days now right. Put quite a few miles in, today was over 200 miles in itself. I needed gas, finally. I had been driving for awhile, and started noticing that towns were becoming sparser and scarier so I decided to stop in Gonzalez I believe. I got out, tried to open the gas cap and couldn't get it so figured I needed to press a switch in the car. I spent about 5 minutes checking around everywhere and couldn't find anything to open the gas lid thing. Everywhere! Finally, I called my mom hoping that maybe she could google it for me, so I gave her the info for the car.....or at least the info I could figure out. She was able to get it at least, and began the google search while I continued checking every nook and cranny. Still nothing. Throughout this time being I was ready to also pee my pants from the obscene amount of water I've been downing to keep full and hydrated, and I was also wearing a skirt in a very windy town.....
So, I get out., one last time and tug on the gas lid thing and it indeed popped open. Woohoo! No switch needed within the car, it was just a manual normal open it up case. So pumped my gas, because I know how now and moved my car to another spot. To sum up the windy skirt segment, yes, the wind did catch my skirt and yes I probably flashed a few people. And yes, I did have a guy wave at me and smile real big. To sum up the pee like a racehorse segment, I did find the litte bathroom attached to the gas store, it was much like those in horror movies. Completely disgusting, murky blue tiles and dirty. Yuck. However, I have my trusty bath and body works spray antibacterial, which covered my hands and my steering wheel after that visit.

I noticed another random event during my car drive as well. It started out with the majority of the commercials being one of three things. One- fast food. Two-a beach party thing in watsonville. Three-the fact that there is a law office that will now bail out loved ones from jail. What a way to bring comfort.

And now for some photos from today.... :o)













No comments: